Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Reinventing your Free Time: sleep when you're dead or die obsolete

Rhett Dashwood may not have the best grasp on what to do with his free time, but he inspired me, so there. Rhett Dashwood is an Australian creative director who used his free time between projects to study Google Maps, trolling for land-formations and buildings that resemble letter forms hoping to recreate the alphabet.

Clap. Clap. Clap. Clap clap clap.

I was using my free time to learn Adobe After Effects and Flash until my free time ground to a halt. It's bad enough that everything I learned in school is obsolete. Between software updates and the addition or reinvention of marketing channels and trends like the "social media revolution", you wouldn't be alone if you found yourself wandering the aisles at the liquour store.

By the time you finish a
three or four year program in design, you're looking for a job and some kind of retraining course.
Education is a life long process, especially for designers and advertisers. What I will say for now is find your moments, and rethink your "free time". More to come.
blog comments powered by Disqus