Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Professional Development: I blog, therefore I rule!

The two things I hear over and over in conversation is "should I start a blog" and "I should start a blog". I've explained before why I think professional blogging is key in this day and age, but that was weeks ago. It's time to break off a super awesome kick-ass update infostravaganza.

YOUR NAME

I know people who function just fine without getting all hung up on these "typewriter television machines" (an actual quote, and they mean "computer"), but they do it at their own peril. They have no internet identity, and by living off the grid, they are impossible to locate and go largely ignored when the gravy train rolls through with a healthy haul of work. An active life in the blogosphere and on social media is the most popular chance you have of having your message breaking through to the masses.

YOUR MESSAGE

That you are as awesome as a Guitar Shark and Darth Vader put together. No doubt.

YOUR GIG

Let's expand that last thought. Coming from an expert at establishing oneself as an expert, you should know that demonstrating your knowledge is key to building trust and earning the respect of potential future clients. I made that first part up, but in truth, what you offer and how much you share about your niche of expertise brands you. It becomes your personal brand. People argue the definition of personal brand, but my belief is that brand is reputation personified, and reputation is the promise of delivery. Big reputation, minus the ability to deliver, equals (see my next point).

YOUR HONESTY

(Read: your life span) There's a saying, fake it till you make it. To a certain degree, there's some validity to it, but if you out-and-out lie about your experience, crack open a window so the neighbours will know when to call the coroner's office.

YOUR TIME

I never took the time to enjoy periods of unemployment. Looking back I feel like the sunless kid who spent his afternoons boning up on Adobe while my friends were all outside working in the sun. Blogging takes on-going education to another level, and here's the important part: every entry is essentially an essay that the whole world will grade you on. With each new entry, it's like being in an alternative school where you choose your own curriculum day to day. They won't kick you out unless you don't study.

Blogging didn't pull me off a ledge, but it did give me purpose when times were tough. It made be smarter, faster, stronger. And if you click the adlinks on the side of the page, it'll make me slightly richer.

[UPDATE: the author wants to thank the entire internet for apparently showing up for the launch party of his previous post about Marketing an unmarketable property like a Fight Club. Let's just say that the writing was no joke. And no, although I'm flattered, it was not a promotional gimmick by Doubleday or Chuck Palahniuk]

blog comments powered by Disqus